Wednesday, January 14, 2009

3 Years, Yesterday. . .

Can you believe that yesterday was my 3 year anniversary of being a truck driver? I was "officially" hired by Watkins and Shepard on January 13, 2006. Time flies when your havin' fun? I guess that is what the quote is supposed to be. Seriously, I do enjoy this job more than I ever thought that I would. It won't ever be my dream job, but it has it's perks, like any job.

We are in Baker, CA at the moment. I was done long before I should have been, according to the odometer. We spent most of the day circling L.A. It was a day of getting loaded, scaling, moving tandems to try and get legal weights on all of our axels - which is not fun when you have a low fuel warning going off and you don't have enough weight available to fuel and still be legal - Diesel fuel is heavy people - 8.7 pounds per gallon - as an average. This is the moment when the thoughts of "How do I get this to work?" turns to leaving the husband and the dog on the side of the road with $20, a baggie of dog treats and telling them good luck, and see ya when I get back from Montana. Would I do think that? No, not me! Or we could try and drink our weight in beer and then we should be able to fuel, oops, that won't work, I don't think we would pee it out before the next scale house. Man, I think I am running out of options. Anyway, i figured it out, while Sleeping Beauty snored behind the curtain, and that puts us in Baker.

The only things that I am going to accomplish tonight are taking my turns in Wordscraper - on Facebook - my mother is killing me. Walk into the Del Taco to borrow their potty, and buy something with cheese in it - too many oranges the last few days, oh, sorry, a bit t.m.i. Put on my jammies - my Christmas ones, I think. Feed the little ole' man, the big ole' man can fend for himself, we are parked next to a Del Taco. Then read my book until I fall into exhausted slumber.

Hope you all are having a nice evening, talk to you again soon.

T

No comments: